Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Location, Location (Where You Do It)

     We could talk about fantastical locations for your campaign including bloodcurdling castles, dank dungeons, and all the rest.  I am going to wax nostalgic and put forth arguments for some fun gaming locations where I have played D&D.


    
  • My DM's backyard....well, screened porch.  My high school gaming group and friends had among us one stalwart Dungeon Master.  We played a lot during the summer, so I have fond memories of the trees around, birds chirping and then crickets/secadas in the evenings.  We would sit, snack, and play  at the tables lined up end to end.  We were covered from the elements and well-guarded but able to see all the summer greenery and afternoon storm clouds... not to mention easy access to the kitchen.




  • A defunct game store in Lakewood, CO - Lots of game stores have play space and I encourage you to use it at your whim and will as well as to support your "friendly local game store" in any capacity you can.  There is one store in particular that failed despite my D&D group's meager support.  Part of their play area was styled and built out and painted to resemble the facade of a castle over looking a medieval village.  There were stairs up into the castle turret where one found a private room for rent complete with a gaming table and various paraphernalia/equipment/accouterments. 






  • My apartment - this brings all the advantages of playing at home, plus some because I get to make the rules!!  As a DM I can dictate when PCs encounter traps and fight hordes of monsters, but as host I can decide how much I am going to drink, how much and where to smoke, I can be a mess, and in general indulge in all the luxuries of home.  Not everyone has the space for a table let alone space for a group to gather round said table, but what a gas if you do!
   

And the winner is...



My Apartment!   


      Congratulations, "My Apartment".  You're the winner because you are the most new player friendly as I can create the perfect environment for the people I am having over.  Are they craft beer enthusiasts?  I will have a growler from a local brewery (that is not a D&D monster).  Do they hate air conditioning? I will have it nice and toasty.  If they want to game into the night, I can stay up with them.  I also have a bit more control over who gets invited and the various distractions.  I keep the TV off, I have no kids or pets, and generally can create the type of environment I feel might be welcoming to the people I am going to play with.  Of course, someone else's house/apt is almost as good depending on who that person is.  
       
       Finally, as much as I love a good FLGS, they are not conducive to introducing new players to the game.  The overly nerdy culture can be off-putting, the noise and other games can be a nuisance or distraction, and a lot of time you can't even bring your own food and beverages. When you have experienced players and you want to move off the grid and play with tape measure on sick War Hammer terrain you can go to the game store.  


Til next time,

DM Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment