Monday, August 26, 2013

Low Magic for "Noobs"

         When I first ventured into bringing new players to the gaming table it was partly out of necessity.  I was a player with no DM, and at most a newbie DM with no group.  Once we got the 'pregen' adventure out of the way, I introduced my first attempt at a campaign 'setting' to the players and we commenced character creation.


         A concept that I recently read about in Dave Noonan's blog reminded me of one of the key elements of the campaign.  I decided to have our world be 'low magic', going so far as to limit access to arcane spell casting classes and all non-human races.  Think first season of Game of Thrones (low magic) vs. Return of the King (high fantasy).

I did this for two reasons:

         1.  I wanted the world to feel feasible for new players who may not be well-versed in all of the fantasy tropes and commonalities.

         2.  I didn't want to deal with the planning, improvisation, and easy monster slaying issues that being able to cast fireball presents (this was AD&D aka 2nd Ed. rules).

     In retrospect I might have done things differently.  I don't think I gave my new players enough credit for their imaginations and willingness to take flights of fancy.  I mean after all, they were sitting down to a D&D table.  And I  have to say, there were one or two cool unintended side effects that we can also learn from.  We'll cover those another time.


Do you prefer low-magic,  high-fantasy or some other flavor for your campaign settings?  Comment below!


Thanks for reading.


-DM Josh


2 comments:

  1. As much as I like sci-fantasy settings, for regular fantasy I can pin this one on Robert E Howard. I prefer a low magic, mid-fantasy setting. I like magic to be strange and terrible, and I like my monsters to be unique or rare enough that a regular NPC encountering a goblin in his root cellar will run screeching to the guard. I've been reading through Shadows of Esteren lately, and it seems to be scratching that itch nicely. Before that, it was Dragon Warriors.

    I do like magic items, though... More Excaliber, less "+3 Mace of Goat Punting".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working magic items into the story and fabric of your world is awesome, but difficult.

      Delete